Thursday, September 11, 2014
Marketing Internship at NB Whaling Museum
The New Bedford Whaling Museum (the Old Dartmouth Historical Society) is a world-renowned museum that brings to life the rich history of the whaling industry and New Bedford. The Museum features the world’s largest whaling ship model; displays of fine and decorative arts; collections of cultural artifacts, rare antiques, scrimshaw and logbooks; and five whale skeletons including the rare blue and northern right.
The mission of the Old Dartmouth Historical Society is to educate and interest all the public in the historic interaction worldwide of humans with whales; in the history of Old Dartmouth and adjacent communities; and in regional maritime activity.
We have more than 90,000 visitors a year, with the majority of visitors coming from Southeastern Massachusetts – though many of our visitors are from all over the country and throughout the world.
I am very interested in a marketing and communications intern to help with the following tasks:
· Assist in the creation of Marketing Plans for upcoming events and exhibitions
· Assist in the creation and implementation of a new marketing campaign for the Museum’s Rental division
· Assist in the creation and implementation of a new Visitor’s Guide for Museum guests
· Assist in the creation and implementation of a new, digital visitor survey
· Assist in the drafting of press releases
· Assist in updating the content on the Whaling Museum’s website and on other websites that promote the Whaling Museum
The intern would learn the following from this experience:
· Learn how to create and implement a successful marketing plan
· Learn how to create and provide the best content for online promotions
· Learn how to best engage an audience to capture pertinent information
· Learn how to understand your audiences needs in order to provide the best visitor experience
The internship title would be: Marketing and Communication Intern
Skills required: This position is for a Junior or Senior. GPA of 3.0 or higher. Strong writing and editing skills required. Will require writing samples. Marketing, Journalism or Communications majors only.
Hours of work: 16 hours per week would be preferred. Suggested schedule would be Tuesdays and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Some evening hours would be helpful during special events.
Start and end dates: The intern could start as soon as possible. End date is based on the student’s availability. End of semester or end of school year would be acceptable.
Primary supervisor and contact information: Stephanie Poyant Moran, Senior Director of Marketing and Public Relations.
Interetsed students should send their resume and an email of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted by MPG at 5:15 AM