Tuesday, September 29, 2009
ABLE Associates is a 20-year old staffing company with specialties in temp-to-hire and direct hire placements. (See our website, http://www.able.jobs/, for more information.) ABLE recruits candidates both locally and on the internet to meet the contingency and full time needs of regional employers. We guard our reputation carefully. Our staff is carefully trained to ensure that we treat every person with respect and that we comply with all employment laws and regulations. We are certified as a woman owned business and are members of prestigious staffing organizations. We are also active contributors to the communities where we live. Our mission is simply to match the best candidates with the best opportunities.
The sales intern will be trained to contact employers throughout Southeastern Massachusetts and Eastern Rhode Island and to identify those companies or agencies with staffing needs that ABLE Associates can fill. He/she will be trained in lead generation and cold calls.
The intern will be expected to work approximately 20 hours a week during the business day. She/he will begin by coming to the ABLE office for training and for telemarketing. When the intern accomplishes clear goals in this period, he/she will be trained to make client visits for in depth needs assessments and job orders.
The successful intern will have successful experience in sales, notably in hospitality or retail. Excellent communication skills, good education record and an ability to handle rejection are essential. He/she will have her/his own transportation and will be reimbursed for mileage. The pay is $12 an hour. The dress code is casual professional. An offer of hire at ABLE is contingent on a drug test and reference checks.
There is opportunity for professional development and growth at ABLE, based on performance.
Interested candidates should send their resume to: Jane Staples at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, September 25, 2009
Here is another accounting internship at Textron. Textron is located in Providence, RI and is a huge corporation with world wide operations. This is an excellent chance for a UMD student to get a foot in the door of a great company.
Job Title: Intern-Accounting
Department/Group: Controllers-Corporate Office Accounting
-This is a paid internship
Job Responsibilities: Journal Entry preparation and input, Account Reconciliations, ad hoc analysis, other special projects as needed
Knowledge and Experience: Knowledge of general accounting concepts (classroom and/or experiential learning), familiar with excel and other MS Office products, ability to communicate effectively with various levels of management, someone who is proactive and takes initiative.
Hours: During School Year - approx 20 hours per week, fairly flexible in terms of exact times. More hours (including possibly weekends) may be needed during the Financial Close. During Summer & School Breaks – will increase to approx 35 hours per week
Location: Textron World Headquarters, 40 Westminster Street, Providence, RI
Dress code / attire: Business casual (no jeans / t-shirts)
Our hope is to find someone who will start within the next 4-6 weeks and work with us for their Junior and Senior years.
Any interested students can e-mail: email@example.com. Include a copy of resume and a short cover letter.
Here is some information about an internship at Textron in Providence, RI. This is a large corporation with headquarters in Providence. This is an outstanding opportunity. We have had several UMD students complete this internship and some are still working at Textron full-time.
Job Title: Intern-Accounting
Department/Group: Controllers-Financial Reporting
Reports to (title): Manager, Financial Reporting
-This is a paid internship
1. JOB SUMMARY:
Responsible for assisting members of the Controller's department, specifically in the Financial Reporting group, in both daily activities and special projects to learn, understand and gain experience related to external financial reporting. Assist in collection, preparation and submission of various government reports, maintain warehouse filing system and participate in ad hoc projects in the Controller's department.
Position is year-round, part-time (up to 25 hours) during school semesters (flexible schedule) and full-time (up to 40 hours) during breaks. Possibility for occasional weekend work or overtime on an infrequent basis.
2. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate collection of government reporting data from divisions; consolidate as necessary and prepare report submissions.
• Assist with general ledger account reconciliations.
• Assist in the monthly closing process as needed.
• Create and maintain various financial reporting spreadsheets.
• Coordinate distribution of FMN DVD's throughout organization.
• Participate in special projects as needed.
LOCATION: Textron World Headquarters, 40 Westminster Street, Providence, RI
DRESS CODE/ATTIRE: Business casual (no jeans / t-shirts)
Preferred sophomore or junior year (or a senior who will be pursuing grad degree)Majors: accounting, finance, or business administration but should have strong accounting skills.
Ideal candidate will:
• Be proficient in MS Word
• Be highly proficient in MS Excel
• Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Be action-oriented and able to multi-task effectively
• Be a team player
• Be in Sophomore, Junior or Senior year working towards BS in Accounting
Successful candidate will be trained to use Lawson general ledger software and Hyperion Financial Management financial reporting software.
Successful candidate will be exposed to general ledger activity, consolidations, government reporting, and SEC reporting.
Please send any resumes/cover letters to NBorges@textron.com.
A campus organization is looking for a student intern to help with the marketing of the yearbook. Here is additional information. It is too late for internship credit for this semester but this could be a good experience for the right person and there is some compensation involved.
The Scrimshaw Yearbook is located in the Campus Center of the University
of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Approaching our 40^th year in operation, the
Scrimshaw creates a publication that chronicles the people and events that define the UMass Dartmouth experience. The book is given to the year's graduating class, free of charge, at the end of the summer. Additional yearbooks are sold via the Campus Bookstore in the beginning of the academic year.
In previous years, our organization has outsourced our corporate advertising duties. We are now looking to establish an internal sales position that will allow us to personally solicit corporate sponsorship, and abolish our previous outsourcing commitment.
* Primary duties and responsibilities:*
* *The student filling the Corporate Ad Sales position will be required to contact all the corporations\businesses that appear on the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth vendor list and solicit them to purchase ad space in the upcoming publication. Contacting said corporations\businesses will be done via telephone, email, and postal mailing. The student will also be required to manage all ads that are purchased by inputting the data into our custom excel spreadsheet.
* What will the student learn from this experience?*
**The student will be able to develop strong communication skills in the field of sales. This position will rely heavily on the student's ability to accurately communicate the advertising options that we offer to the corporations\businesses, so he\she will learn the importance of clear and concise communication. In addition, the student will learn organizational skills through their use of the Microsoft Excel program.
* Job Title: *
* *Corporate Advertisement Sales
* *The student will receive a stipend of $1000 for the academic year. In addition, he/she will earn a commission of 10% for every ad sold after the first $2000.00 of ad space sold.
* Academic preparation of the student required (graduate, senior, junior, courses taken, GPA, etc.):*
* *Graduate, senior, or junior. GPA no lower than 2.5. Preferred that student has taken or is currently enrolled in a marketing course.
* *Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word.
*Hours of work: *
The student will be required to work in the yearbook office for 10 hours per week. Exact office hours depend on the student's schedule and will be discussed between the student and the editor-in-chief.
* Start and end dates: *
* *Start: November 1^st , 2009
End: May 10^th , 2010
Jamie Jacquart, Director of Student Activities. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*To whom should students send resume/application and how?*
* *Resume can be sent either by email to email@example.com or by
delivering it in person to the Yearbook office, located in the Campus
Center on the 2^nd floor.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
A local CPA is in the middle of a large software conversion and could use some help. While many of the tasks are routine, a student would still learn from the experience and be exposed to a CPA practice. The practitioner would ideally like to hire a sophomore or junior, probably 10-15 hours per week. This position should last through the end of the semester with a possibility of more work after that.
John T. Lally CPA
Faunce Corner Office Park
78 Faunce Corner Road, Suite 515
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Tel. 508 992-6500
Fax 508 992-6550
Saturday, September 19, 2009
The Pawtucket Red Sox, the triple A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, are advertising college student internships (some of these are paid) with the Pawtucket, RI based team. These are late Spring and Summer 2010 internships. Such internships are good resume builders for students who are interested in sports management. Or if you simply want to gain some real world experience while combining an interesting tour of duty with a professional baseball organization. For more details, visit:
You must apply for these opportunities by mail:
Pawtucket Red Sox Baseball Club, Inc.
PO Box 2365
Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02861
The Pawtucket Red Sox Baseball Club, Inc. is an equal opportunity
employer. *No phone calls please**.* All applications must be received
through the mail.
No E-mail applications. All applications must be submitted with all
required materials indicated above. *Incomplete applications will not be
I have reviewed the postings and see that their are internships in the
Administration (office work).
Friday, September 18, 2009
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island is looking to hire a human resource management intern. This is a paid position (if you are not seeking credit) and I believe it is located in Providence, RI. Here's additional information from the job posting.
Responsible for completing a variety of analytical and administrative tasks in support of the HR Operations area.
• Assist employment, benefits, compensation and compliance personnel with administrative projects, including preparation of surveys, responses to requests for information, governmental reporting and internal department procedure or data audits.
• Draft letters, memoranda, and policy statements.
• Complete special projects, tasks, and assignments under general direction.
• Communicate, verbally and in writing, with employees, supervisors, managers, job applicants, and representatives of other organizations; collect and provide information; interpret policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Collect, record, analyze and evaluate data and information; develop conclusions and recommendations; collect information through interviews
and other sources including records, reports and surveys.
• Interpret and explain applicable state and federal regulations as they pertain to Human Resources administration.
• Conducts research on Human Resources policies and practices and participate in surveys to compete in local and national markets. Analyze data to assist in determining competitive trends by utilizing human resources system.
Bachelor's Degree or matriculating status from four-year college or university in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Management, or related field.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, and Word is required. General computer proficiency is required.
Knowledge of general mathematical principles, including ratios and percentages.
Computer, typing, keyboard, and Internet skills are essential.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to collect, analyze, and organize large amounts of data.
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Good presentation skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse employee population.
Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously and be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to define problems, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE PREFERRED
• Highly motivated.
• Professional speech and demeanor.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Works in typical office environment.
• Moderate noise levels may affect ability to concentrate.
• Handling and being exposed to confidential information.
• Directing, motivating, training, coaching, and disciplining staff in a
• Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
• Frequent sitting, standing, and walking.
• Frequent talking and listening.
• Frequent walking to other buildings for presentations and meetings.
• Close vision and ability to adjust focus to read and view computer screen.
• Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds without assistance.
This opportunity has come our way through an alumnus of CCB at UMD. She
recommends that interested parties apply online at: www.bcbsri.org
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Aquapoint, an innovative waste water treatment solutions company located in New Bedford, is looking for an e-Commerce/Marketing intern to start immediately. The successful candidate will be working closely with senior management to implement e-commerce solutions and perform e-marketing, basic research, and web site activities to market and promote the products, services, and news of this company. If you are interested in learning more about the green movement and emerging infrastructures please consider a applying for this internship. You will be expected to make a contribution to the marketing effort of this company while learning a great deal from an experienced and enlightened management team. The experience will qualify for internship credit (Fall 2009), assuming that you meet the other criteria of a CCB internship.
The ideal candidate should have strong software skills, including web site development and a basic knowledge of e-commerce strategies and theories. You should be at least a junior MIS or MKT major, with a solid academic record and good communication skills. The position will require 9-10 hours per week (you must complete at least 135 hours as part of a credit-earning internship.)
Aquapoint is located at 259A Samuel Barnet Blvd in New Bedford
Interested students should submit their resume and an email message of interest, as soon as possible to:
Mr. Josh Lindell. Mr. Lindell's email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, September 11, 2009
Fernandes and Charest, a local CPA firm is looking to hire an intern to start in late December. Their web site is www.fernandescharest.com/ . The firms is looking for an accounting major (preferably a junior). Must be a good student, have an excellent work ethic, and be interested in public accounting. The firm is located just a few miles from campus on route 6 in Westport. Several former UMD accounting majors work at the firm and we have had terrific success with this firm for years. Please send your resume and cover letter to Michelle Albernaz via email for consideration:
James Driscoll, a local CPA, is looking to hire one or possibly two interns to start in January. He prefers junior accounting majors. The office is located in Westport, MA. Jim's phone number is 508-636-0415 and his fax is 508-300-8334. Jim is a great guy and has had many UMD accounting majors intern at his office. The work is focused on tax season and I believe Quickbooks. Send a cover letter and resume to his fax. Jim would like to begin interviews soon.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
AlphaGrahics has an opening for a part-time sales assistant.
The job description is below.
PART TIME - SALES/MARKETING ASSISTANT
The hours are flexible(within normal business hours) THIS JOB EXTENDS
THROUGH THE FALL AND INTO THE SPRING/SUMMER OF 2010
Telemarketing to existing customers and new prospects to set up appointments for outside salesperson. A SIGNIFICANT PART OF YOUR TIME WILL BE TELEMARKETING.
Mailing out sales collateral when necessary.
Preparing content/layout for monthly email newsletter
Maintaining contact lists
Preparing estimates for salesperson review.
Good verbal and written skill and be comfortable doing phone work.
Computer literacy a MUST.
Previous experience in a printing company a PLUS.
Knowledge of contact management software (preferably ACT)and MS word/excel.
COMPENSATION: $10.00/HR PLUS INCENTIVE FOR APPOINTMENTS SET.
Student should plan to work 6-12 hours/ week.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
* Marketing: Would assist with social networking (FBook, Twitter, etc) and production of the Society's marketing (Fridge posting, newsletter, etc.)
* Events: Researching potential new events, planning/implementation for new events.
These are unpaid internships.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to:
Erine Anderson Volunteer Services Coordinator Buttonwood Park Zoological Society 425 Hawthorn Street New Bedford MA, 02740 508-991-4556 X19