Finding An Internship
- In the accounting or auditing departments of profit-seeking companies such as local manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and distribution companies. These are usually staff accountant or internal audit positions.
- In the accounting and finance functions of nonprofits such as hospitals, museums, and community service organizations. We have also had accounting majors who have completed internships in the IRS sponsored VITA program, a tax preparation assistance program that helps low income tax payers.
- In public accounting firms, particularly during high demand times such as during the tax season (spring semester). Our students have also completed summer internships with the big 4 accounting firms
We have also had a number of student interns working at Putnam Investments in Franklin, Massachusetts. Putnam offers internships in their customer service area (investor services) and accounting. Although these positions are not strictly finance but are more customer service and clerical in nature, they do introduce students to a corporate environment and build their investment vocabulary. (Author's comment: The Franklin operation moved to Andover a few years ago and we have had very little involvement since then.)
Another important tip is to understand that whatever your major, there are many possibilities within the discipline to explore. There are niches within all areas of business. Let me explain. One of the more popular internships in our college is the marketing one. Marketing is one of our largest majors and we also find that many companies and nonprofits want marketing interns. In most marketing internships, students are helping the organization promote their products and services, generate sales leads, and communicate to the public. In recent years we have seen more opportunities for students who are strong in marketing but also have a background in information services. Database marketing, social marketing, and search engine optimization are hot internship areas. Students who can use the internet to identify potential customers and gather strategic marketing information are also more in demand.
Then there is the idea that many internships are not focused tightly or categorized distinctly within one business discipline or major. The lines between accounting and finance are often blurred. The same is true with marketing and IT. Some marketing internships cross over into management as is the case with retail-oriented internships. For example, students who have interned with Enterprise or Sherwin Williams have noted how they not only utilize marketing skills and knowledge but also learn about how to manage people, coordinate resources, and operate a store.
- Information Systems and Technology
- Supply Chain
- Corporate Strategy
- Customer Service
- Merchandising/Brand Management
(Author's note: Be ready for long hours and no pay!)
- New England Patriots
- New England Revolution
- Boston Celtics
- Big Fish Promotions, LLC
- Boston Lobster's Tennis Team
- Central Connecticut State University
- Bay State Banner
- Lowell All-Americans Baseball
- Sports Management Worldwide
- Worcester Tornadoes
- Connecticut Sun
- Bay Sox (New Bedford)
- Cape Cod Baseball League
- Brockton Rox
Cooperstown, New York is a wonderful place and the Dream Park is an interesting internship possibility for a student who wants to work in the sports/hospitality field. The internships at Cooperstown Dream Park are full-time, paid position for the summer and include living accommodations. If you love sports, particularly baseball, look into this. The founder and operator of the park is a very successful entrepreneur. His story is very interesting and this facility is like the Disney World of youth baseball operations. If you are interested, visit their web site:
Our contact at Cooperstown Dream Park is: Linda Davis in the HR department.
Linda's email is: email@example.com
At the end of this training program, you will be equipped to join a client engagement team as a contributing member. And, you will have begun building a network that will help you for the rest of your career.
1301 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019
Tel: (646) 394-1000
Westport, MA 02790