Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Finding Your Own Internships

If you are interested in finding your own internship, one strategy you can try is to send a letter of inquiry and your resume to companies and organizations in the region. Below is an example of an inquiry letter that you could tailor to your situation.

_________________________________________________

Your Name
Street Address
City, State Zip
Phone Number
email address

Date

Company Name
Name and Title of Person
Street Address
City, State Zip

Dear _________:

I am a (junior or senior) (accounting, finance, marketing, MIS, management) major at the Charlton College of Business, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. My program allows me to earn 3 business elective credits by interning at a local company or agency. I am interested in developing an internship with your organization and have included my resume for your review.

Internships-for-credit require a minimum of 9 hours per week for a total of 135 hours on the job along with the completion of an internship course. My internship will be monitored by a business professor and I will be required to complete several assignments as part of my internship course.

You can learn more about the Charlton College of Business internship program by visiting:

www.umassd.edu/charlton/internship.cfm

I would also be happy to meet with you or another representative of your company to explore this possibility. I can be reached at (telephone number) or by email at (email address).

Sincerely,


Your name